Sunday, June 17, 2012

Teaching is like ....

Been a bit of a busy week, so I was catching up on a few emails that have come in and came across this blog challenge by Brad Patterson.


1) Challenge one: what is your “teaching is like____ ” metaphor?

2) Challenge two: what experience, activity, or lesson that is completely non-teaching related has brought more to your classroom than anything else?

Brad himself answered these two questions:
1) Teaching is like surfing. It requires patience and often more observation than action. Knowing how to push up, stand and guide your board is useless if you’re not in tune with the ocean, its movement and timing.  Each wave is unique and never again will you enjoy the one you’re on now, so carpe diem and enjoy class!

2) I think my experiences with yoga and being a massage therapist have brought more to the classroom than I can easily express in logical terms.  They’ve brought me an awareness and sensitivity that would have otherwise been hard to learn through a training course, or “tough”to pick up while on-the-job.
Being able to observe reactions to our efforts and attuning oneself to learners is a balancing act, just as noticing how students’ energy is throughout the day, knowing when to wait, when to be firm, smile or just move on… these are things that I feel I cultivated in these more physical-mental-spirtual arts and they have served me well in the classroom.
I then read a few of the answers to the challenges and particularly liked Cecilia Lemos' replies (maybe it's because I have a weakness for shoes and also do pilates!!!)
Cecilia Coehlo
PilatesClasses .ie
So what are my answers to this challenge?????
For me, teaching is like gardening.  
In a garden, there are lots of different kinds of plants.  
Some need sunshine, 

some need shade.  

Some need a lot of water, others need less.  
They will flower and shine out at different times.  
Some are obvious, whereas you notice others when you get closer to them or really take time to look.

Together, they can form a beautiful garden and they all have a right to be there and to get the attention they need!!
I'll give you my answer to the second challenge question in another post!
And think about and share your answers too!  


Categories: ,

0 comments:

Post a Comment